Wednesday 27 February 2013

ZigZag Love Pattern is Ready!

Hello everybody!

I am very excited, and more than a little nervous, to announce that the pattern for my ZigZag Love quilt is now up and available for purchase on Craftsy! Click HERE to see (and buy, if you'd like, I'd love you forever if you did). ;)

EDIT: Craftsy is no longer selling patterns from independent designers, so the pattern is now available on my website

I have done my best to ensure a comprehensive pattern, proof-read many times, with lots of diagrams and pressing instructions to help match the seams effortlessly. Different sizes are included in addition to the main little quilt, each using a pre-cut, with sizes going up to a single bed quilt using a layer cake.

Here is a block I made using my jelly roll instructions:


I am very grateful to all those people who have asked me about a pattern, giving me the push I needed to dip my toes into the pattern writing pond. I hope that what I have produced in response meets with your approval. It is a lot of work creating a pattern, but I am hoping to do many more - I have so many ideas I'm running out of paper to sketch them on!


Special thanks too, to Suzitee, for checking things over for me and making suggestions. x x :)

If you do happen to buy my pattern, and make something from it, I'd love some feedback and photos. My email address is included in the pattern. 

Well, here's hoping that all that time has produced something people will find valuable. It would be amazing to see little heart quilts popping up here and there. Fingers crossed!

7 comments:

VickiT said...

I just love that quilt. Beautiful work.

Jan said...

I love your quilt!

CJ said...

congratulations on your first pattern!

TheCharactersKeeper said...

Very Beautiful Work

suzitee said...

How did I miss this post? WOOOHOOOOOO and congratulations (again)on your first pattern! I am very excited for you, and know it will be the first of many wonderful things from you :)

tralee said...

This is a really lovely quilt, and your instructions very easy to follow (though I would prefer metric measurements :| ), but my last little triangle always seems to distort a little. The big square goes in well, the first little square and alls fine, then comes the troublemaker !!! any ideas? My iron is a steam iron, and I'm thinking that may be the cause, but why only this piece :(
I'd welcome any advice...

I'm using the Beatrix Potter prints for my first grandchild

Tralee

Hope said...

Hello Tralee, thanks for your comment.

Sorry you are having troubles. I often use steam to iron patchwork as well, and I find that sometimes if fabric is not pre-washed it can shrink slightly. As you said though, it is odd that the first two squares worked out fine if steam is the issue.

I wonder if it is where the last square overlaps the other little square/triangle that is causing the issue? Have you tried sewing in the opposite direction? That is, if you started sewing the square on from the top of the rectangle, try starting at the side and finishing at the top, or vice-versa.

Another idea would be to make sure the rectangle is still square and measures what it should after the first two squares are sewn on and ironed. If it is not quite right, try positioning the last little square so that it makes the rectangle measure as it should, ignoring the corner of the rectangle if necessary, then sew along the line as normal. I hope that makes sense. Definitely check the results before trimming the seam allowance, it might effect the point at the top or how the halves go together.

One more thought - you could try leaving the seam allowance untrimmed until all the squares are sewn on, and see if that keeps things in shape. You might have to leave a slightly bigger seam allowance if the stitching gets in the way of trimming.

Please let me know how you go. I will keep thinking on it and let you know if I think of any other suggestions.

Beatrix Potter prints will be so cute in this quilt. Is your grandchild a boy or a girl?